Have a question or need help?

You have come to the right place


Here you will find answers to frequently asked questions, links to related websites and downloadable documentation. If what you are looking for is not available here please feel free to complete the FAQ form provided and we will do our best to answer you right away!

Returns and Information Policies

Refunds and Returns


Our web sites may contain links to web sites operated and maintained by third parties, over which we have no control. Privacy policies on such linked sites may be different from our privacy policy. You access such linked sites at your own risk. You should always read the privacy policy of a linked site before disclosing any personal information on such site.


If you have NOT received your merchandise, you may cancel all or part of your order within 24 hours of placing your order without a charge or fee by contacting us.


All sales are final. However, if you discover concealed damage you have 3 days to report it. Just call our service department. If a refund has been authorized, please note the following

Cash payments will be refunded by cheque (allow 7 business days). Debit Card payments will be refunded to the same account if the Debit Card and Debit Card holder are present. If the Debit Card holder is not present, Debit Card payments will be refunded by cheque (allow 7 business days).

Credit Card payments will be refunded to the same Credit Card (allow 7 business days). All other payments will be refunded by cheque (allow 21 business days).


If we decide to change our privacy policy in whole or in part, we will inform you by posting a notice on our web site. Those changes will go into effect on the effective date posted in the notice and at the end of the revised Privacy Policy. The new policy will apply to all current and past users of our web site and will replace any prior policies that are inconsistent. Your continued use of our web site or services constitutes your consent to be bound by the revised Privacy Policy.


To help us improve our privacy policy and practice, please give us your feedback. You may call us at 1-(800) 263-1857.

Personal Collection of Information

Welcome to the ECS Cares Incorporated, website located at www.ecs-cares.comand thank you (any visitor to our web site) for considering our products and services.

As stated in our Terms of Service, our Privacy Policy forms a part of your legal agreement with us. Your use of this website, as well as the agreement with this policy that you clicked, signifies that you agree with all terms of this Policy. Please do not use this website if you disagree with any part of our Privacy Policy.

Guarding your Personal Information is very important to us, and the following policy explains how information about you is used and protected.



When you use our website, our servers may automatically collect certain Non-Personal Information such as: your IP address, your operating system or your browser.


We may use Cookies to store or retrieve information. Cookies are a small piece of text stored on your browser which may allow us to identify you upon return to the website or to remember specific information such as your shopping cart items or your display options. Cookies are neither a virus nor spy-ware. You hereby authorize the use of cookies by us.


The Personal Information we may collect and store is the information that you voluntarily disclose to us, including but not limited to; any information that identifies, relates to, describes, or is capable of being associated with, a particular individual, such as: (1) first and last name; (2) home or other physical address, including street name and name of a city or town; (3) email address; (4) telephone number; (5) a government issued identifier; (6) any other identifier that permits the physical or online contacting of a specific individual; or (7) information concerning a user that the web site or online service collects online from the user and maintains in personally identifiable form in combination with an identifier described in this section. Personal information does not include publicly available information that is lawfully made available to the general public from federal, state, or local government records.

“Shine the Light” – In response to your request (which you may only make once each calendar year), we will provide you either: 1) a list of the categories of personal information disclosed to other companies for their marketing purposes during the preceding calendar year, with the names and addresses of those companies, or 2) you may change or opt-out cost-free such information sharing as described below.

Updating Individual Information – You may request that We update Your Personal Information by contacting Us at 1-(800) 263-1857.

Deleting Individual Information – You may request that We delete Your Personal Information by contacting Us at 1-(800) 263-1857. Deleting Your personal information may cause disruption in the use of Our site.


Our website may contain links or display advertising from third parties. Non-Personal and Personal Information you voluntarily provide to third parties through links on our web site may be shared with us by our advertisers and other third parties. In addition, we may receive Personal Information from co-registration partners when you have voluntary agreed to allow a third party to share their data. We have no control over the privacy practices of these third parties. Please be sure to read and accept the Privacy Policy on any website you visit.


We do not intentionally collect Personal Information from children who are younger than age 18.

Back to Top



We store your Personal Information on our computers, and we believe we have appropriate security measures in place to protect your Personal Information including encryption of any personally identifying information. However, we cannot guarantee that our security measures will prevent our computers from being accessed without authorization and your Personal Information stored on them stolen, deleted or changed. We assume no responsibility for such unauthorized actions.


For any unencrypted data that we maintain that includes Personal Information, we will notify you of any unencrypted Personal Information that was, or is reasonably believed to have been, acquired by an unauthorized person. The type of information that triggers the notice requirement is an individual’s name plus one or more of the following: Social Security number, driver’s license or Identification Card number, financial account numbers, medical information or health insurance information, as well as any complete login information.

Back to Top


When the time comes to dispose of Customer Records; We will shred, erase or otherwise modify the personal information when disposing of Customer Records under our control.

Back to Top


We may use your Personal Information for any legal purpose in our sole discretion, including but not limited to; membership, registration, log-in, or order fulfillment purposes. You agree that we may also use your Personal Information to contact you by phone, postal mail or email.

Back to Top


We may transfer Personal Information to third parties for order fulfillment, to respond to Legal Processes or governmental requests for information, or for any other legal purpose.

Back to Top


While your browser may contain a “do not track” signal or other mechanism that provides You the ability to exercise choice regarding the collection of personally identifiable information or about your Internet activities over time and across third-party sites or online services, our systems are not set up to accommodate your browser’s request.

Back to Top


This Privacy Policy is effective as of November 1, 2018. We reserve the right to revise this policy from time to time without prior notice. You will be notified of any material changes in our Privacy Policy either by email or by a conspicuous posting on our web site.

Sharps Disposal

The following resources answer common questions related to the storage, transportation and safe handling of sharps waste.

Can I put my needles in the garbage or toilet?

Any waste collector can get poked if the needles are loose or in a container. Containers get crushed and the needles come through. Most Waste Management Bylaws state you cannot put needles in the garbage or blue bags.

Waste Management workers sort all the recycled items we put in the blue bags by hand. A worker could get poked by a needle.

If the needles do not plug the toilet, it can enter the sewer system and then into a river. Someone could get poked and it is environmentally unclean.

I am a Doctor, do I need to have a Generator number?

Single practitioners are exempt from requiring a generator number for all wastes.

For any multiple doctor facility a Generator number is required.

To register for a generator log on to hwin.ca and click on new registration. ECS Cares offers a service to get you registered, manage all of your hwin needs and keep you in compliance for $125.00 per year.

I am in a Stericycle Contract!

We are sorry to hear that. Here is a blog that a dentist wrote about how he was able to free himself from the contract. The forum posts are also worth reading. Note: This is a US article but the contracts are still similar.

ECS Cares does not need to use contracts. Our clients stay with us because we offer great service at a fair price.

I have lots of needles that I stored in water bottles and bleach containers, what do I do?

We provide several scenarios. The easiest options is to choose one of our large opening sharps containers. You fill the container(s) which includes the appropriate liner and box and we can remove if for disposal.

Our team can walk you through this process, in most cases, we deliver the approved containers and remove the sharps waste box on the same service call to reduce your charges. Our team will also ask you questions to ensure that all the MOE guidelines and hwin requirements are followed.

We can also provide you with containers moving forward.

What is the difference between a red disposal container and a yellow disposal container?

In Canada, there are actually 3 colour coded containers approved by the CCME (Canadian Council of Ministers of the Environment).

Yellow – Waste Sharps, Human Blood or Body Fluid Waste and Microbiology Laboratory Waste

Red – Human Anatomical Waste

Orange – Animal Waste

Why am I noticing needle holders in washrooms?

More and more business and hospitality centers are realizing the need to protect there staff and provide there patrons with a safe disposal for there needles or lancet.
With a growing awareness to the millions of diabetics in Canada and an increasing amount of workers being pricked while managing garbage or cleaning it is the sensible solution to a growing concern.

Silver Recovery

The following information is related to all silver recovery and film handling processes

Do I need a silver recovery unit?

If you use fixer or bleach fixer then yes. Unless you prefer to send the chemical offsite for treatment. ECS Cares offers this service to most of our Canadian Clients.

The fixer or bleach fixer contains silver and most municipal guidelines allow a discharge of 5 ppm (parts per million). Some guidelines are as low as 2 ppm so it is important to ask your local municipality. Also, septic systems generally can not handle this waste so offsite treatment is a must.

Here is a list of approximate silver content per industry:

Dentists, Medical and Photo Industries have silver content over 800 ppm.

Industrial Industries can have silver content over 5000 ppm.

How do i know if I am receiving the right amount of silver for the cartridges/filters?

Finding a trustworthy company is key. ECS Cares has been in business for over 50 years and have retained clients for over 30 years. A series of calculations and testing may be done but it is always conditional on certain elements that can not always be controlled.

ECS Cares offers a silver program credit to existing clients that ensures they receive a predetermined amount of money without the need of waiting for refining or having additional charges introduced.

How do I know my material is properly destroyed if it is removed from my site?

ECS Cares will issue a Certificate of Destruction for all volumes greater than 10,000 lbs. For any volumes less than this a Certificate of Destruction may be issued upon request.

ECS Cares has been in business since 1969 and has garnered a strong reputation for honesty and integrity. We operate with a level of transperancy and will welcome any Client to visit on-site.

I have a collection of silver flake, what do I do with it?

The first step is to check it for moisture. Using a kleenex to see if it absorbs anything will help. Then weigh it and take a photo. ECS Cares will pay you a set rate per lbs. If you deliver it to our Barrie office, you leave with a cheque. If one of our team members collects it on your behalf, we receive it and weigh it and issue you a cheque within a few days.

I need to keep my X-Ray film but I also need the space, can I store my film and files anywhere?

You can store your files offsite but you are still responsible for them. You also will need to have routine access to them and a filing system to ensure that you can pull the correct file upon request.

ECS Cares has set up a premium file system that is secure. We are able to pull the requested files in a timely fashion and re-file them upon return.

I sorted my X-Ray film, can I just recycle my paper?

Recycling is not shredding. If you shred the files first, then recycling is great. However, most residential shredders can not handle the size of the envelopes and have a hard time shredding them when folded. Due to the information on the papers and envelopes, the best method is shredding. ECS Cares offers this as a service to its many clients.

If I recycle my papers in the blue bin do I meet PIPEDA regulations?

It depends on the content. If it is only your personal information then yes, but we would still recommend you have your personal information shredded as well. You can never be too safe in shredding all documents and ECS Cares has an excellent paper shredding service.

Papers that enter the recycling bins are not shredded and therefore the personal information of others is at risk.

“Personal information” means information about an identifiable individual which includes any factual or subjective information about that individual, including, for example:

  • Name
  • Opinions about the individual
  • Birth date
  • Income
  • Physical description
  • Medical history
  • Gender
  • Religion
  • Address
  • Political affiliations and beliefs
  • Education
  • Employment
  • Visual images such as photographs, and videotape where individuals may be identified
What is PIPEDA?

The Personal Information Protection and Electronic Documents Act (PIPEDA or the PIPED Act) is a Canadian law relating to data privacy. It applies to federal works, undertakings or businesses and how employee and personal information is collected, stored and safeguarded.

“Personal information” means information about an identifiable individual which includes any factual or subjective information about that individual, including, for example:

  • Name
  • Opinions about the individual
  • Birth date
  • Income
  • Physical description
  • Medical history
  • Gender
  • Religion
  • Address
  • Political affiliations and beliefs
  • Education
  • Employment
  • Visual images such as photographs, and videotape where individuals may be identified

Sharps Containers

The following information is related to all sharps containers.

What are the CT Series containers?

Our new line of containers have multiple sizes and our part of the CT Series line. They have replaced the original 3L and 4.5L CT containers.

The CT4 is a direct replacement of the 4.5L CT container and the CT2 is a direct replacement for the 3L CT container.


Are the litres or quarts on my sharps containers correct?

The simple answer is unlikely. It seems labeling sharps containers with litres or quarts is like the gas mileage posted on cars several years ago. They are misleading. Some companies list the volume based on the maximum capacity of the entire container BUT they have a fill line! If the CSA and UN standards require a fill line, which they do, then why not base the capacity on the fill line? We did some testing, it is not difficult to do so if you want to confirm our results just get a measuring cup and some water.

Container Liquid Comparison

What happened to the containers I have been getting (pre-summer 2017)?

The beginning of 2017, ECS Cares began investing in a new container supplier with more options and superior quality. The consistency and quality makes these the best on the market. We have been and will continue to phase out the 4.5L Ct and 3L Ct containers.

I have brackets and Needle Boxes for the original CT containers, what do I do?

ECS Cares will be keeping a limited amount of original CT containers for these customers. We will also be working on select accounts to switch them to our new brackets and needle boxes.

At the end of the day, we will ensure you are looked after as our intention is to make things better for our customers.

Does the number on the CT Series container represent the volume?

We moved away from using Liters or Quarts on the containers or in our general descriptions as it will put us at an initial disadvantage. Many containers on the market have inflated volumes, or volumes based on the entire container and not the required fill line.

Our testing has shown CT4 to hold similar liquid to its replacement at the fill line.

What is the difference of a CT and CT+?

Side by side, the base is the same. The lid is what makes the difference. The CT3+ and CT4+ has a taller lid with a larger opening. It actually allows for more storage of waste due to its design. (you gain an extra liter of volume).

Why am I told my pails are being replaced with 30L bins?

The summer of 2017 is the start of our new product line. This includes 30L, 45L and 68L waste bins. We have yellow for sharps, red for cyto and white for Rx. These bins are superior in every way. They lock and close more securely, have a hermetically sealed lid and have a PG II rating. They also do not require additional packaging.

The 30L bin is 30% larger than the pail and only in certain circumstances will the costs increase. If you only do 1 or 2 per pick up, the costs should be the same.

Waste Management / Chemicals

The following information is related to the handling and storage responsibility for waste chemicals and other hazardous materials

I am confused, I have tried to register with hwin but do not know all my chemical information?

The HWIN Help desk may be reached at 1-866-494-6663 Monday to Friday from 8am to 4:45 pm or by email at hwinhelpdesk@ontario.ca

Your time is valuable and this process can be frustrating and time consuming. ECS Cares offers a service to manage all of your hwin needs and keep you in compliance for $125.00 per year.

My employer wants me to clean the amalgam lines and filter and rinse it in the drain, is this alright?


It is important to understand that amalgam needs to be treated as a “hazardous waste.” Amalgam contains mercury and other biological wastes that cannot be rinsed down the drain. For older systems where the amalgam needs to be poured out it should be done so in a safe manor and into a sealed pail with a rubber gasket. See our amalgam supplies for pricing on these pails.

Please explain the copies and my duties with a manifest?

Each manifest consists of 6 copies. The only copies that pertain to the generator initially are copies 1 and 2. After signing the manifest, the generator removes copies 1 and 2. Copy 1 is mailed to the ministry (see back of manifest for the office in your province) and copy 2 is to be kept on file for a 2 year minimum. When the waste is received the receiver will then mail you copy 6, to pair up with copy two

What is hwin?
Hazardous Waste Information Network

HWIN allows hazardous waste generators, carriers, and receivers to register their activities with the Ontario Ministry of the Environment and Climate Change online.

HWIN is an important part of the Ministry’s commitment to strengthen Ontario’s hazardous waste management framework. It enhances the quality and accessibility of hazardous waste information in Ontario. It allows the Ministry to track where various wastes are being generated in Ontario. It ensures that a licensed company is transporting your wastes, and ultimately receiving/processing your waste.

When does my amalgam filter need changed?

Each offices filter change frequency should reflect the volume of use at any given facility. At a minimum both the Solmetex and Rebec systems are recommended to be changed once a year.

Solmetex HG5 series: Any of the filters in the HG5 Series have a fill line that should be monitored regularly. When the liquid in the filter reaches the fill line, the filter should be replaced. If the liquid does not reach the fill line within a 12 month period, the filter is still recommended to be replaced.

Rebec system: These filters should be replaced every 12 months at a minimum. Upon processing the waste filters, we will be able to determine if they should be changed sooner. We can provide you with the manufacturers recommendation for your offices suggested replacement frequency.

Why do I need to use metal drums to dispose of my chemicals when plastic drums are less expensive?

Plastic drums and metal drums serve different purposes. It is important to understand which drum(s) or pail(s) you require for the chemical wastes that your site generates. In some cases you may need to have metal drums for some chemicals, and plastic drums for others.

Secure Sharps Public Needles